8.09.2008

Where Did The Life Go?

I am non-vegetarian. I eat chicken and the occasional non endangered fish. So, when told off by people about being hypocritical this is what I look like:


Well, so maybe thats not exactly what I look like. The gorilla does have a striking resemblance to me though. To all of us actually. They happen to be one of our closest relatives. And as us humans tend to do, we have ignored these relatives or made life really miserable for them. Gorillas are now on the list of endangered species. They have been brutally killed for a thriving animal parts market. This is what we have reduced them to:


Does the picture look right to you?
Gorillas are not alone in their suffering. There are now 41,415 species on the IUCN Red List and 16,306 of them are threatened with extinction, up from 16,118 last year. The total number of extinct species has reached 785 and a further 65 are only found in captivity or in cultivation. (http://www.cms.iucn.com/)(http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Category:Critically_endangered_species)

Humans are now simply massacering the planet and its inhabitants. There exists no concern for a specie other than our own. Only a very small population of humans think of these beautiful beings before themselves. The rest, well this is what they do:


Cruelty at its best. Mercilessly hacking away the remanants of life from defenceless creatures, poachers reach new heights in being despicable. Everytime I glance upon these images, my head spins and I cry. I feel myself hurting. The cry of a baby animal separated from its mother, gives rise to an uncontrollabe rage. I want to do something for them. I want to be able to go out into the world and help them turn back their fates.
As of now, there is a precious little that I can do. I cannot donate online, cannot take my passport and hop upon a plane to Africa and cannot do all that my heroes do. I can, in this way spread a message to the world.

The animal and plant population of the world is depleting at an alarming rate. Conservationists all over the world are trying to find newer ways to increase populations of such species in the wild. Captive breeding programs have found some degree of success, but need a lot more funding to continue. If you cannot contribute directly then the following may suffice:

- Donot purchase animal parts in any form. Be it leather, snakeskin or ivory.
- Donot abuse or injure any wild animal that may venture near your house. Call emergency.
- Change your mindset about animals.
- Contribute time and energy to the campaign
- Join the local PETA or RSPCA or ASPCA
- Donot pollute. Saving the Environment helps
Remember,
"There is only one species that exists on the planet with the power to save all others. Us. Think about it"

Together, we can once again hope for these images to prevail freely on our earth.
Signing Out,
Loving Animals, With My Heart


4 comments:

anty_anand said...

A Word Of Caution:
This topic is far too close to my heart for me to accept any flak about animals.

Anyone who does so, should expect a fairly degrading verbal tirade in reply.

(P.S. Iya, dont even try)

ishita-dasgupta said...

oh well! wat makes u think i wud hav found anythn funny in dis post?? or rather...DARED 2 find anythn funny..??? :P

srsly speakin, thrz nuthin not 2 agree wid in ur post! atleast i am cmpltly in sync wid it...except d leather bit i think - u mean 2 say u hav never used any leather products in ur life?????

think abt it.. :)

arnav said...

i totally agree with you here.. I have joined my local PETA and I do campaign against fur!!

Very well done, effective images..

Jeff said...

Miss, this seems to me an emotional outburst at the cruelty animals are subjected to. I can understand. Its a very nice post. Iliked it. So is the rest of your blog.