12.30.2011

9 Reasons Why I Don't Regret Buying An Andorid

I can get very anal when it comes to purchasing phones. I wanted to buy a Samsung Corby for a while, but the fonts in it turned me off so completely that I stuck to wonderful Sans Serif typeface on my N73. When the N73 graciously decided to throw in the towel after two long years of abuse, I moved on to the C5. The Nokia C5 is a brilliant phone, I tell you. However, as you may have noticed, this post is not about my Nokia C5.

It happens to be about my Android. I'm not entirely sure why I purchased this HTC Wildfire S in the first place, much like why I am not sure why I am typing out the model names so specifically. I believe it had something to do with the urge to play more levels of Angry Birds. I won't admit to that, however. It seems entirely wasteful to stop using a phone as brilliant as my C5 just to play Angry Birds.

Then again, my Android has turned out to be no less remarkable. In fact, after having had used for some six months, I may actually have a list of reasons as to why I threw in the 'I HEART NOKIA!' towel and moved on.

1. It had Angry Birds. Notice the 'had'. It is now gone. I have found better uses of the phone memory.

2. I no longer get lost in Delhi, or anywhere else, for that matter. I have GOOGLE MAPS! I can now find my way about town without the constant nagging fear that I will get lost and mater dearest will call child services.

3. It has conversation view. I'm a sucker for pineapples and conversation views.

4. It lets me shut GPRS on and off as required. People who have drained their Nokia batteries twice a day because of GPRS will understand. Also, Wi-Fi support.

5. I can now Whatsapp and Gtalk with people, meaning I save on daily SMS's.

6. It syncs everything with my google account, which sucks if my family ever found the password but is otherwise great. Something I found out only after losing all my contacts. (All you blogger friends, message me yours!)

7. I operate a touch screen phone now and have avoided carpel tunnel syndrome till the days when I sit down to write my novel come calling.

8. I can load apps on the phone. Apps are these interesting things that can do a lot of stuff, if you just know where to look. For example, I can now blog from my phone. I can look for places to eat immediately. I can search for stuff on the internet.

9. It is my only inspiration to get into shape. I can track exactly how many kilometers I have walked and the calories lost, which means I no longer can entertain lurid fantasies of having walked ten kms and lost 2000 calories.

I won't say that now I can check my mail, because I was checking my mail on my Nokia phones as well. But I can check my mail faster now, does that count?

I still pine after the C5, for reasons such as - "You've been using it the WHOLE day and you STILL have battery left for tomorrow?" Android phones have a terrible battery life. But hey, at least I'm avoiding carpel tunnel for the while.

Signing Out,
Ze Android Owner

4 comments:

Tangled up in blue... said...

I've been a decade long Nokia loyalist myself but the whatsapp thingy is really bugging me. And why, why, why won't they wise up about the GPRS? Really!

I have a feeling I'm gonna have to switch camps come time to buy a new phone.

Tangled up in blue... said...

Oh, and a Nokia joke that made me giggle today - Voldemort would never have died had he decided to make the Nokia 3310 one of his horcruxes.

mgeek said...

^LOL!

I had a Nokia that survived a jump from 4th floor and lived!
Though I doubt it might do it again out of shame after it sees the new Galaxy Nexus!

Jokes apart, Nokia made a very good strategic decision to partner with Microsoft for Windows Phone. Hopefully the execution will be fruitful.

Antara said...

TUIB: As we grow, we all switch camps. If only for a little while.

mgeek: The Mango series, yes? I do hope so.