2.09.2012

9 Things I Have To Say About New Girl

I like procrastinating. It happens because I pick up work diligently at 12.30 AM/10.00 PM each day, knowing very well that I do my best work either around 4 PM or 2 AM. I can then spend four hours lost in meaningless forays within the interweb. On one such foray, I discovered the show 'New Girl'.

My immediate reaction was to dislike it because I've fallen out of love with Zooey Deschanel. I love her elder sister Emily much more and I can't stand her Maniac-Pixie-Dream-Girl thing any more. But as fate will have it, Bones went on a hiatus for a while and I was stuck having nothing else to do but watch New Girl. 12 episodes down, I feel sufficiently knowledgeable in ranting about it.

Why I Like 'New Girl' - 
1. The male cast is good. Especially the guy who plays Schmidt. He's actually quite fun to watch.

2. The pace is good. Things move along and there is no unnecessary drama.

3. There is a whole life outside their apartment and bar unlike a certain other TV show.

4. Zooey Deschanel can occasionally be somewhat funny.

5. Lizzy Caplan is probably going to be a regular. This should probably be #1 on the list but Schmidt is genuinely entertaining.

Why I Disdain 'New Girl' - 
1. The model "CeCe" is apparently Indian. Bitch, please. If she's Indian then I'm Oscar Wilde.

2. They won't tell me what exactly Schmidt does for a living! MOAR back story into Schmidt please.

3. It glorifies the "feminine - unicornsexist! - I'msocute - glitter! - baking" stereotype and does nothing for the  "regular - neithermasculinenorfeminine - justplainjane" girls that most of us are.

4. I hate Zooey Deschanel's MPDG act. If you have to be socially awkward and unaware of what you're doing, do it like Temperance Brennan, not Jessica Day.

But I'm still going to watch it, because I want to know what Schmidt does next. Also, what his first name is. And I kinda need a break from Criminal Minds.

Signing Out,
Regular Ol' Girl.

3 comments:

Riddhi said...

hahahaha I feel the same way about Criminal Minds. Oh man.

Tangled up in blue... said...

I also like Emily better. There's something more earthy and grounded about her. Zooey always gives me the impression of being a little spaced out all the time.

I'm sort of hooked to Parenthood on tv for dearth of good things to watch at 10 PM. Well, it should do until Modern Family returns.

Antara said...

Riddhi: That show is a bad, bad obsession to have.

TUIB: I think their mum read Franny & Zooey far too many times when carrying Zooey. It may have affected her a little. I'm streaming the episodes of Modern Family on the net. I have lost all control of the home TV set as it is.